Triporama

Musings about my travels in and out of country.

Friday, June 10, 2005

3 Gorges Insert #1

Image hosted by Photobucket.comWhile in China, I was unable to blog during the 3 Gorges Cruise, but I was able to do email. Here is the first dispatch from our time upon the water:

Dated 4/15/2005
Today we are on a boat on the Yangzte River. We visited the 3 gorges dam - huge project. Very impressive, but no fish ladders!

Our room on boat is very small, but very nice accommodations. There are Chinese and Singapore tourists on board too. Buffet meals - people here don't wait in line, but push on ahead. It's like having a meal in a family of 11 kids.

The Xiling Gorge is beautiful! Limestone cliffs; little houses here and there, plus regular big towns. Terraced farms right down to water's edge. Including groves of orange trees, in the terraces. They grow 10 varieties, and grow enought to feed every person in China 1/2 kilo of oranges (info from tour guide). The trees are laden with fruit. It is like being in the Columbia River Gorge and having orange trees all up and down the hill side.

It is light rain right now. Dianne and I were the only ones out on top deck enjoying the scenery, all bundled in our rain gear. Tomorrow we cruise into the Wu Gorge, and next day Qutang Gorge where we get into smaller boats and go up a side stream.

Don't know if my blog is getting my posts or not. I hear from some that it isn't, and others that it is. What I know is that I can't access my blog to see what it looks like, from China. Some new all countrywide filter against blogs.

Later, J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home