Triporama

Musings about my travels in and out of country.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Pyramids

The winds on the Giza Plateau were refreshing as we landed in front of the
big pyramid. An older man in a galebaya (typical egyptian robe/dress) and
turban came to shake my hand and welcome me to Egypt. "Where you from? ...
oh America, good place, welcome, welcome! Here are some scarabs for good
luck." We walk on, and he continues to put pyramids, Tut's bust, and
postcards into my hands ... all for good luck, welcome to Eygpt! Pulled out
my camera to take his picture, and he immediately took the camera and
positioned me and Susan for a couple of shots. And then I took his picture.
He asked for no money, but when I got some out to pay him baksheesh of 10
pounds, he said that most people pay 50... I ended up paying him 40, more
than what others would have, really, but still less than $5 for me.
The pyramids were very overwhelming in their size and history. Hard to have
any photo do them justice. We went into the 2nd pyramid, crouched down the
passage way and then crouched up to the burial chamber. No heiroglpyhs in
this one. There is still a granite coffin and a guard/old gentleman in a
galabeya and turban, that shines his flashlite in the coffin, for some
baksheesh. The only graffiti is from some Italians, dated 1818. The six of
us that went in were the only ones there with the guard and decided to test
the acoustics so we sang a verse of "Amazing Grace". It sounded great!
The solar boat that was found in the 1980s is huge. They built a museum on
top of the pit it was buried in so that they could recover and restore it
in a controlled environment - that's what the guide said. The boat pit was
covered, originally, with blocks of limestone each weighing around 12 tons.
The light show tonight was only surpassed by twilight and the shining
planet above the pyramid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home